Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Welcome back, Zach!

I have been waiting for this day for a long time, and finally it has come. Mr Zach de le Rocha is back in full force, and with good company. One Day As A Lion is the the result of the collaboration between two of my favorite musicians in the world, Zach (Rage Against the Machine, DUH!) and Jon Theodore (The Mars Volta). Zach lays it down on vocals and keyboard while Jon kills it on the kit. The drum grooves seem deceptively simple at first, kick snare hat style, but as the song (Wild International) progresses Jon flashes his brilliance with some killer fills that are lightning fast and ferociously tight, so good!

Just hearing Zach's voice again takes me back to my formative early teen years stuck in suburban hell. His ferocity, flow, and poetic brilliance opened my eyes to the struggles of the world's peoples and helped break me out my protected little world-view.

Aside from being one of my dream duo's, they also got their name from an iconic black and white photo - how cool is that? This from their website:

“The name taken from the infamous 1970 black and white, captured by legendary Chicano photographer George Rodriguez featuring a center framed tag on a white wall in an unspecified section of Boyle Heights. It reads: ‘It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.’ This record is a stripped down attempt to realize this sentiment in sound.”

Well said. Now - go to their myspace page and listen to Wild International!

Photo credit unknown... :(

PEACE to you all.

No comments: