Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Review: The Black Angels

Directions to See a Ghost is the latest from Austin's psych revivers, the Black Angels. Full disclosure - a friend of mine was in the band up until just before the release of the record, although it has no effect on my review.

I have been a BA fan for a long time, and Passover is a regular in my heavy rotation circle. But, I have always had the sense that the Angels don't have the kind of sound that is sustainable. Don't get me wrong, I loves me some drone and I think I may have even heard a chord change somewhere on the new record, but Directions pretty much solidified (IMHO) my theory on the Angels longevity. They just signed a deal with Suretone (Interscope), so I am sure within the next two year's they will blow up with a big release then disappear into the psychedelic nether-world from hence they emerged.

The exterior packaging is cool, sticking to their style with psychedelic graphics and the textured surface, but the interior type treatment is hideous.

Highlights: You On the Run, Science Killer, Mission District
Lowlights: Vikings (picture a five year old autistic child on the drums), 18 Years

Overall, I would recommend it - but if your new to the Angels, do yourself a favor and pick up Passover instead.

No comments: