Monday, July 21, 2008

Jumping ship

Well, goodbye iTunes music store - hello Amazon. I guess what really made my decision for me was the DRM (Digital Rights Management), iTunes places all sorts of restrictions on music you purchase - only 5 machines/devices can be authorized to play your music at any given time and you can only burn it to cd 7 times (not to mention it ONLY works with their hardware). There are ways around the DRM, but it's a total hassle. Amazon however is DRM free, meaning that whatever I buy is mine and I can do whatever the hell I want with it, and as a consumer that is what I want. I must admit, the iTunes interface, catalog selection, and ease of use is far superior but the DRM has became a deal breaker. Whenever I want to make a muxtape, or include songs that I have purchased into a podcast I have to burn it to CD and reimport, this is a pain in my ass and just wasteful. My music, I do what I want with it.

PEACE to you all!

No comments: