Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Thoughts on Paying Attention

Let me start by saying I am a huge nerd, and I love all things web. Blogging, Twitter, RSS feeds, Crackbook - it is safe to say I spend a lot of time broadcasting my life and tuning in to the lives of other's on the web. But, while at SXSW, especially the Interactive session I noticed that people get so wrapped up in broadcasting every moment that they forget to actually slow down, be in a moment, and absorb an experience as it happens.

The more I reflect on this, the more I feel like detaching (to an extent) from technology, and just BE in a moment. To me, shooting film is perfect for such a mindset because after depressing the shutter there is no instant review. For better or worse that moment of light is captured. A few days or weeks down the road when the film is developed and scanned/printed and enough time has separated you from the event you can reflect and transmit. Shooting film means being present and aware, in my own little world at least.

With that here are a few rough images from SXSW Music, three of my favorite performances captured as moments of light. Bear in mind, this film had been expired for several years!

Circle Jerks at Emos, I flipped my shit when they played Coup D'Etat and I hopped in the pit and am quite sure I hit several people in the head with my camera.

The Great Lakes at Red 7. I could have gone either way until at the very end the guitarist hung his guitar from the rafters while it fedback like a banshee, he then climbed the rafters himself hanging above the crowd - awesome!

Efterklang at Habana Calle. Considered by many to be the Beatles of Denmark, the performance was overwhelmingly beautiful.
PEACE to you all!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sup Ryan!

This is Jose. Man, you hit the nail on the head as far as my SXSWi takeaway. I was kinda worried going in that because I haven't jumped on board with things like Twitter and Facebook that I was somehow being left behind. It was sort of a releif to me to see that the SXSWi attendees, which are considered to be at the forefront of New Media, are a very small percentage of the total internet user base. I'm pretty sure it would be obvious if everyone was a Twitter-a-holic, because we be bumping into each other all the time with our heads down Tweeting. I think there is a huge gap between the New Media evanglists and the "masses" who are still trying to wrap their heads around Ebay, blogs, forums and all that stuff that the Twitter folks would say is sooooo 2001. Anyways, keep up the good work man, I'm digging the photos and the site!